The Breadcrumbs widget will appear here on the published site.
Anyone else a huge fan of “staycations”?!? With my hubby’s crazy work schedule, it can be tough to go off on a spontaneous vacation as a whole family. Thankfully, living in WNY, we are so close to so many fabulous travel destinations. My favorite? Niagara Falls! A few weeks ago we decided to head up to the falls and take my daughter on the Maid of the Mist. She had never been and we felt like she was finally old enough where she would remember her first experience.
When I spammed my Insta with Niagara Falls pics, I was shocked when I was flooded with questions. I swear everyone wanted details on the Maid of the Mist!! So today I’m doing exactly that! Giving you all the tips you can possibly need to make your trip on the Maid of the Mist as epic as possible!
1. Wear Sunglasses ~ yes, you are provided with a free poncho, but if you’re a girly girl like me and caked your makeup on for those insta-worthy pics, pack a pair of shades and toss them on when the boat takes off. I didn’t even need to touch my makeup up afterwards thanks to my handy dandy poncho and my shades!
2. Bring Your Camera ~ This was the one question I was asked over and over. Is it safe to bring your fancy camera? The answer is yes! While you do get wet, you do not get soaked. Mist is the key word here! Just tuck that camera under your poncho when you’re not using it and it will be fine!
3. Go On A Weekday ~ We headed up to the falls on a bright, sunny 85 degree summer day. It was a Monday and there were zero lines!!! I was pretty excited about this because in the past, I had waited quite a while to board. Apparently Monday’s are the day to head to the falls!
4. Wait To Put Poncho On ~ when you first board the boat, you will see everyone put their ponchos on in a hurry. I was one of those people. It gets really hot with that poncho on! I would wait until the boat is about to take off and then put it on. You will literally be standing around for about 5-10 minutes while people board feeling like you’re in a sauna on a hot summer day with that thing on!! Just wait!!!!
5. Top and Bottom Decks ~ There is a huge difference! If you’re like me and just wanting to get misted with water to cool off from all that walking you have been doing, head to the bottom deck. I didn’t really get that wet at all and like I mentioned above, didn’t have to fix my makeup! If you’re wanting to get wet, the top deck is for you. Depending on where you stand on the top deck, you can apparently get as soaked as you want. You won’t be finding me there that’s for sure lol.
6. Observation Deck ~ If you want the best insta pics you can possibly get on the American side of the falls, head to the observation deck! You will have the best views of the falls. I would suggest even doing this before you do the excursion if you want family pics in front of the falls. That way you don’t have to worry about anyone being wet afterwards. Everyone will be dry and photo ready!
Have you been on the Maid of the Mist?
The Recommended Posts widget will appear here on the published site.
Last time we went to Niagra Falls we were too early in the year for the Maid of the Mist boat trip. I was so disapointed. Now, we're heading back there later this year so I'm definitely hoping to do it this time. I've paid special attention to your tips on staying on the bottom deck if you don't want to get soaked. I'm with you on this. I don't mind a spray of water but no way do I want to get soaking wet.
7/31/2019 11:28:51 am
The maid of the mist is so fun! We boarded Canada-side but I think the experience is similar. Everybody had a fab time.
7/31/2019 11:30:40 am
Awesome tips! I remember going to Niagara Falls when my first son was little. Great Family trip!
This is definitely on my list of things I want to do. My boys are 4 and 6, so we are waiting until they are a little older to head that way. I've never seen the falls before, so these are some great tips for it all! I have a waterproof camera so I'll bring that when we go. Even if you don't get very wet, my camera is my livelihood so can't risk it!
7/31/2019 07:07:00 pm
I cant wait to travel there soon! Thank you for the tips so I know what to expect when we visit!
8/1/2019 08:43:23 am
This is one of my favorite trips when going to Niagara. I live in Ottawa and every summer we try to go there!
8/1/2019 09:55:47 am
I grew up visiting the falls each summer and riding the maid of the mist. I have such fond memories. I have never visited the American side of the falls (which is weird, because I'm in Ohio, so we have to drive right past it), but I'd like to someday.
8/1/2019 10:39:52 am
This looks like so much fun! I’ve never been to Niagra Falls but would love to one day.
8/1/2019 03:53:17 pm
I'm looking forward to travel there soon! I'll surely have this added in my bucket list.
8/1/2019 08:02:51 pm
We would love to visit here! Definetely on our bucket list of places to travel to!
8/2/2019 12:43:42 pm
Oh this brings back memories! I HAVE, but not since I was 13 - did not have time to take my kiddos when we brought them to Niagara for the first time - the sunglasses idea is genius!
9/21/2019 05:49:41 am
I love to do travelling. I went to canada at that time I experienced the maid of the mist.
10/14/2019 01:27:16 pm
I would love to visit again again there, lovely place. Every buddy have fabulous time.
1/29/2020 02:18:55 am
Wow! Really this tips are awesome. Great and helpful to us. Thank you so much for sharing this post. Please share another post like this one.
1/29/2020 04:30:26 am
Wow...Amazing tips! This is really informative and helpful for everyone when someone planning to visit this place. Thank you so much for sharing this post.
Leave a Reply.
The Blog Search will appear here on the published site.
results for you
We've got nothin'!